Monday, September 20, 2010

What do you think about school's using advertising to generate income?

In my first class the professor brought us outside and had us move up and down an imaginary line showing whether we agree or disagree with his statements.  One of the statements was "Schools should use advertising to generate money."  Some felt very strongly that it was wrong to expose kids to ads, and some felt it was a good way to get money if the ads were conservative.

The school featured in this WCCO segment seems to be on the "strongly agree" end of the spectrum.  The ads seem a little bit overwhelming to me, but I don't think they are necessarily wrong.  Schools do need more money and today high exposure to advertisements is a part of a child's reality.  Though I'm not sure I would like a Cub ad plastered across my locker and on the floor (to me it would feel claustrophobic) I think that the more important lesson is that advertisers are continuing to find new ways to reach audiences.  Whether or not it's right to put advertisements in a school, we should be teaching children how to understand the media they consume.   
St. Francis school placing billboard-style ads over lockers and on floors

No comments:

Post a Comment