Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Public schools are not so bad


While babysitting Monday night I read an article in the New Yorker about a quirky 8th grader whose fashion blog (started at age 11) is now so popular that she has her own international set of paparazzi.  I looked at the blog ( http://www.thestylerookie.com/ ) and I think it’s entertaining – in one moment she’ll be writing something incredibly mature and in the next she’s a complete eighth grader.  It might be interesting for some of you who are aiming for that middle school age.
More educationally, when I was trying to find an online version of the Tavi article, I found an editorial about how the recent media (“Waiting for Superman” – again – and a couple other books) are over reacting and the journalist, Nicholas Lemann, thinks our system, if not perfect, is doing quite well.  You can read or listen to his thoughts on the New Yorker webpage here


No comments:

Post a Comment